Chapter 6: Secure data sharing
Sharing data with others
Why do I share my passwords?
Sharing passwords through insecure methods like emails or texts poses significant security risks. When passwords are shared through these channels, the information is stored as plain text in multiple locations, including:
- The "Sent" folder in your email provider's inbox.
- The "Sent" folder on all other devices connected to your inbox.
- Your recipient's email provider's servers, which may have multiple locations and data centers.
- Your recipient's computers or devices.
Similarly, sharing passwords through instant messaging apps is also insecure, as the information is often transmitted without encryption and can be read by the messaging service provider. Additionally, these conversations are typically saved in the app's history, further compromising security. However, Intuitive Password's Secure Sharing feature provides a secure solution. When you use the sharing feature, your data is encrypted using advanced encryption methods before being transmitted over the internet. This ensures the confidentiality and integrity of your shared information. For more details on security and encryption, please refer to our security documentation. With Intuitive Password's Secure Sharing feature, you can securely share your password items with other Intuitive Password users.
Understanding your vaults
Once you log in to your Intuitive Password account, you will see your vaults. Vaults serve as containers for your password items, such as login credentials and secret notes. They also facilitate information sharing with your team members. Intuitive Password offers two types of vaults:
- Private Vault: It is dedicated to storing your personal password items and secret notes that do not need to be shared with your team. Examples of items you might store in the Private Vault include your personal Gmail account, home Wi-Fi password, mortgage details, and online banking credentials. The Private Vault is automatically created when you sign up for Intuitive Password and remains permanently available in your account. You can only have one Private Vault per account, and it cannot be deleted or shared with your team.
- Custom Vault: In addition to the Private Vault, you can create one or multiple Custom Vaults as per your requirements. A Custom Vault can serve as a private vault, similar to the Private Vault, or it can be shared with other individuals on your team. When you store password items in a Custom Vault, your team members with the necessary permissions can access and modify them. Alternatively, you can use a Custom Vault to privately store your passwords and sensitive information without granting access to anyone else. You can create up to 100 Custom Vaults in your account.
What administrators can do?
As an administrator, you have the ability to invite team members by email address or send a list of email addresses to invite multiple people simultaneously. To get started, log in to Intuitive Password and click on the "Invitations" option in the Secure Sharing tab. When team members join, they are assigned a Private Vault where they can store their personal passwords and other personal-related information. Before team members can access shared password items, their accounts need to be confirmed.
Custom Vaults empower team members to securely share password items. By default, a Custom Vault is provided for shared password items that everyone in the team requires access to, such as software licenses or activation keys for the organization. You can create additional Custom Vaults to share password items with specific individuals or groups, such as vaults dedicated to different teams or departments. For instance, an accounting department vault can contain login credentials and licenses for accessing accounting software.
Not everyone who needs to view a vault requires editing capabilities. As an administrator, you have the authority to assign specific individuals to manage each vault, making your management tasks more streamlined.
What team members can do?
As a team member, you can join a team to view and manage passwords. To do so, you need to receive an invitation from the team administrator. If you haven't received an invitation yet, you can request one from your team administrator. Additionally, you may have access to additional vaults that are shared with other team members. If you require a new vault for a special project, you can approach your team administrator for assistance. To share a password item with others, simply move it into a Custom Vault that you share with them.
Intuitive Password is a web-based password manager that seamlessly works across all your devices, ensuring your information is always accessible. Any changes you make on one device are instantly synchronized and available on all your other devices. You can begin using the Intuitive Password browser extensions to automatically save and fill passwords on all the websites you visit.
Add and remove team members
To enhance collaboration and streamline password management within your team, Intuitive Password provides the ability to add and remove team members. This section will guide you through the process of inviting new members to your team and managing existing team members.
- To invite people to your team, click on the "Invitations" tab located on the Secure Sharing panel. This tab allows you to manage all aspects related to team member invitations.
- Enter the email address of the person you wish to invite. You can invite multiple individuals by separating their email addresses with semicolons, then click on the "Send Invites" button. If a team member has not received the invitation, you can resend it by selecting their email address in the "Invited Users" panel and clicking on the "Resend" button. This ensures that they receive the invitation and can join the team successfully.
- In the "Pending Confirmations" panel, you will see the email addresses of team members who have accepted the invitation but are pending confirmation. These are individuals who have accepted the invitation but need your authorization to join the team. Select the desired team member from the list by clicking on their email address. Click on the "Confirm" button to add the team member to your team. This action grants them access to the team's resources and shared vaults.
- To remove team members from your invitations, you can remove them from the "Invited Users" panel if the users have not yet received the invitation. If the users have not been confirmed by the team administrator, you can remove them from the "Pending Confirmations" panel. If the users have already been confirmed by the team administrator, click on the "Users" tab on the Secure Sharing panel and locate the user in the "Active Users" panel, remove the user by selecting their name and clicking on the "Minus" icon.
Create and edit custom vaults
Intuitive Password offers a robust vault management system that allows you to create, share, and edit vaults to facilitate seamless collaboration and secure password sharing within your team. This section will guide you through the process of creating vaults, sharing them with team members, and making necessary edits.
- To create a vault, navigate to the "Manage Vaults" tab located on the Secure Sharing panel, Give the vault a name that accurately reflects its purpose, then click on the "Create Vault" button.
- By default, you become the owner of the vault, granting you exclusive management rights. However, you can assign permissions to your team administrators to assist you in managing the vault effectively. The newly created vault will automatically appear on all your devices, ensuring seamless access.
- To rename a vault, select the vault you want to rename and click on the "Pencil" icon, enter the desired new name for the vault, then click on the "Check" icon to apply the changes.
- To delete a vault, select the vault you want to delete and click on the "Minus" icon. Deleting a vault will remove it from the devices of all team members it was shared with.
Share custom vaults
Method 1: Navigate to the "Manage Vaults" tab located on the Secure Sharing panel, select the desired vault from the "Vaults" area, then on the "Members" area, choose the team members you wish to share the vault with. Once the selection is complete, click on the "Update Members" button to confirm and finalize the sharing process.
Method 2: Click on the "Users" tab on the Secure Sharing panel, then from the "Active Users" area, select the specific user you want to share a vault with. On the "Vaults" area, select the vault(s) you wish to share with this user, then click on the "Update Vault Access" button to confirm and complete the sharing process.
Create, edit teams and members
Intuitive Password offers a comprehensive team management system that allows you to create teams, edit their details, and manage team members efficiently. This section will guide you through the process of creating teams, making necessary edits, and managing team members within your organization.
- To create an organization, first navigate to the "Teams" tab in the Secure Sharing panel, provide a name for the organization and click on the "Create Organization" button to proceed.
- Once the organization is created, select the organization and create a department within it. Specify a name for the department, and click "Create Department" to finalize the creation process. This will create a department within the selected organization, establishing the foundation of your team structure.
- To rename an organization or a department, select one you want to rename and click on the "Pencil" icon, enter the desired new name, then click on the "Check" icon to apply the changes.
- To delete an organization or a department, select one you want to delete and click on the "Minus" icon. Deleting an organization or department does not remove the team members from your invited list, only the organizational or departmental structure is affected.
- To manage team members, select the department you want to manage, then change the status of each team member as per your requirements. Turning a team member's status off means they will no longer belong to that department. After done that, click on the "Update Settings" button to save the changes and apply them to the department.
Manage roles and permissions
Intuitive Password provides powerful role-based access control, allowing team administrators to assign specific roles to team members or teams. Each role has a distinct set of permissions that govern the actions a user can perform within the system. This section will guide you through managing roles at both the user and team levels and configuring role permissions.
Manage roles at user level: navigate to the "Users" tab in the Secure Sharing panel, then from the "Active Users" area, select the user to whom you wish to assign roles. You will see a list of available roles that can be assigned to the user, select one or multiple roles that are appropriate for the user's responsibilities, click the "Update Role" button to apply the changes to the user's account.
Manage roles at team level: navigate to the "Teams" tab in the Secure Sharing panel, then Select the organization or department for which you want to assign roles. Click on the "portrait" icon to reveal the list of available roles that can be assigned to the organization or department, choose one or multiple roles that align with the desired permissions for the team. After selecting the roles, click the "Save Settings" button to save the changes and apply them to the team.
FAQs for this topic
Intuitive Password's Secure Sharing feature encrypts your data using advanced encryption methods before transmitting it over the internet, ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of your shared information.
The Private Vault is dedicated to storing your personal password items and secret notes that do not need to be shared with your team.
Yes, you can create Custom Vaults and share them with other individuals or groups on your team.
Intuitive Password offers Private Vaults and Custom Vaults.